|Part of NewgonWiki's series on |
|MAP | NOMAP | AAM | Community|
Origins | Flag | Movement | Neologisms
Ephebophilia | Hebephilia | Pedophilia | Nepi
Pederasty | BL | GL | Lesbian GL
BLogo | GLogo | Pro-c | Anti-c
|Category: Minor-attracted people|
|Template:MAI - This template|
- For an extended list of graphics, see Memes and Graphics.
In order to identify themselves, MAPs have created a MAP Flag, which garnered widespread social media attention in July and August 2018, along with widespread attention for the term "Minor Attracted Person". Rumors had spread on social media, that MAPs intended to use the flag at pride events, and these fears resurfaced the following summer.
The concept appears to go back at least to a 2009 competition, on Newgon.com (our predecessor) - in which various proposals were solicited for a symbol - although we do not know if this early example is directly related to the later ones. As can be seen, this "Gradient Flag" predecessor has a file date of 8 Jul, 2009, and had most probably been submitted through the website's forum (we will soon have private access to copies of this discussion). The concept laid dormant for many years, along with the rest of the Newgon website.
Small-time Validity Sadist and MAP-Adjacent Influencer, "Zoophile Struggle Tweets" burns Newgon's revised MAP Flag and lights a joint
The origins of the 2018 flag are a Tumblr user named Stenna, who published it in June of that year, and was assisted by comrade_lecter (in what ways are so far unclear). The graphic then went viral throughout social media, although after its removal by Tumblr, Stenna's page was then squatted by a hostile actor. Tumblr trolls have subsequently been suggested by various "fact checkers" as the true source of the flag, although this is likely to have resulted from the confusion surrounding Tumblr's censorship attempt.
Since it was published, the MAP Flag has become internet folklore, attracting many variations inspired by common alternative pride flags. These have been wrongly interpreted as LGBT re-entryist attempts by MAPs. The 2021 version, and a subsequent pro-c proposal have caused some controversy on Twitter.com, with smalltime influencers burning printed versions on camera, and members rowing over what version of the flag should be considered the "legitimate" MAP Flag.
There have been many variations on the symbolism rationale for a gradient or gradient MAP Flag. Within the context of the MAP Flag and its predecessor:
- The white stripe has been said to represent "Innocence", "Purity" (of minors, in the NOMAP Flag, or rejection of lies concerning MAP attractions), and "Peace" and unity between MAPs of different persuasions is another possible rationale.
- The yellow could be said to represent liberty. In the NOMAP Flag, it represents minors, with no emphasis on gender.
- The colored stripes are always said to represent boys and girls, sometimes of differing life stages.
Newgon admin (probably pasting information submitted in a forum thread) stated:
- "Like the tricolor concept, gradient stripes attempt to represent all aspects of the erotic. The color pink represents the feminine, blue for the masculine, and white both for the purity of these and for all those not included in the two categories of CL expression. [...] A spectrum of gender and age"
Stenna's original rationale for the NOMAP Flag:
- "The top two stripes are blue to represent NOMAPs attracted to young boys. The bottom two stripes are pink to represent NOMAPS attracted to young girls. The inner stripes are yellow to represent childhood and general attraction to minors, regardless of their gender. The middle stripe is white to represent our innocence and unwillingness to offend. Please feel free to use this flag and make icons out of it etc!"
Erroneous claims of novelty and trolling by "fact checkers"
Mainstream "Fact Checkers" at Snopes.com have erroneously claimed that the MAP Flag concept "originated with a troll experiment on Tumblr", although this information is now considered to be outdated - and is likely to be revised. AFP Fact Check repeated those claims. The reason behind these fact checker's dismissive bias and hasty research is clearly the (again, erroneous) fear that MAPs are attempting to rejoin the LGBTQ+ community after years of ostracism. The fact checkers are trying to disprove this already ludicrous thesis, to protect the LGBTQ+ movement. It has also been claimed that Minor Attracted People didn't coin their own term of identification, which as our research article demonstrates, is an ahistorical act of erasure which benefits the CSA insustry and medical lobby.
In June, 2021, a video posted by the iconic children’s TV show Blues Clues, in support of Pride month, appeared to show an inverted NOMAP Flag in one of its segments, leading to further hysteria on social media. Some users have since pointed out that the flag represented appeared to be the Gender Questioning Flag.
- MAP Wiki Article - Article on Anti-c Wiki, explaining some rationale for the NOMAP Flag. This article also contains some peripheral alternative flags, such as a Minor MAP Flag.