Minor attracted neologisms
|Part of NewgonWiki's series on |
|MAP | NOMAP | AAM | Community|
Ephebophilia | Hebephilia | Pedophilia | Nepi
Pederasty | Boylove | Girllove
BLogo | GLogo | Neologisms
Pro-c | Anti-c
|Category: Minor-attracted people|
|Template:MAI - This template|
Some people more or less involved in the minor attracted community have coined neologisms for sexual attractions to legal minors. The primary intention of such coinages is to avoid the negative and sometimes excessive connotations of the term "pedophile".
The terms see limited use in on-line communities, websites and literature, including academia.
2nd wave (2007 onward, or ongoing long term use)
- Minor-attracted is a popular predominantly social-political, gender-neutral term with some popular variations as used in academia and on websites such as this one. Since it has been around in some form since 1998 - it is not really a neologism, but continues to produce new forks. Critics have noted that these obvious terms may serve to draw more, not less, attention to the negative connotations they seek to avoid. There is also debate around the use of "minor", with some seeing it as belittling to youth and others seeing it as a self-critiquing legal term, carrying little-to no naturalistic prejudice (as opposed to "child").
- Minor Attracted Person (abbreviated MAP) - A generic/inclusive term coined in early 2007 by British MAP Activists for anybody who is sexually attracted to legal minors. The term draws meaning from legal statutes as well as personal feelings, and is therefore excellent for social-political uses but a poor specifier. For these reasons the term is currently in use by the groups B4U-Act and Newgon.
- Non-Offending Minor Attracted Person (NOMAP) - An identity that places emphasis on socially acceptable conduct - some of these individuals feel they need to use drawn erotica or sex dolls.
- Minor Attracted Adult (abbreviated MAA) - A term sometimes used as a social/clinical concept in academia (e.g. Sarah Goode), but also popular among self-aware individuals who conform to it. Critics have argued that the term excludes many younger persons who aren't yet adults and also does not accurately describe people in places where the age of majority is quite low.
- Youthlove is used by some people as an extra-legal alternative to MAP. While some do use it within their circles, there is no evidence of widespread public-facing use.
- Kind was a term with translingual appeal, promoted by the Irish author Thomas O'Carroll.
Early 2nd wave (2000-2007)
- Childlove - A unifying term that was particularly popular in the early online communities (pre-2010) of minor attracted people - even among some early second-wave MAP Activists. This term still sees some use, but is usually confined to peer support communities due to its reading as non-objective. It has been used in various forms as shorthand for boylove/girllove or an anglicized version of pedophilia, so may in a stricter sense go back to the 1st-wave era - 80s, or earlier.
- Pedosexual - An attempt to standardize pedophilia as a sexual preference or orientation, coined by analogy with the terms heterosexual and homosexual. Critics of this term note that neologisms tend to alienate readers and listeners, and the obvious resonance with the term "pedophile" does not succeed in redefining the connotation. The term also suffers in the same way as Zoosexuality, in that it mixes sexual (M/F) preference with another strand, in this case, chronophilia (animals or age ranges are not sexes).
- Responsible Boylove - A term invented by the late American author David Riegel, who believes that the term "boylover" is being used by "irresponsible" men who even intend harm to boys. Riegel intended to distinguish himself and others from this group by using this term. Critics of this term see it as an implication that boylove itself is somehow inherently irresponsible and must be thusly distinguished. Others have described the term as a laughably naive oxymoron, as it appears to make the assumption that true love may be at all responsible.
- Puersexual - A recoinage of "pedophile" using the Latinate root for "boy." Critics note that this term suffers from many of the same problems as "pedosexual" in addition to being more obscure.
- Amaros, Amarso, Amarsi - Identifying that "[m]any have pointed out that there is no terminology that refers collectively to both the younger and older parties in an adult-minor relationship.", AP has proposed Attraction between Minors and Adults that is Romantic Or Sexual and Adult or Minor Attracted Romantically or Sexually to the Other. The plural of Amarso is Amarsi. Both terms are closely related to the verb “to love”. In Spanish, amar is the infinitive of the verb “to love”, whilst amaros means “to love one another” in Spanish. Amarsi has the same meaning in Italian. See Puellula.
1st Wave (pre-00s)
- Regardless of their debatable origins, Boylove and Girllove became considerably more popular due to the bastardization of pedophilia by mainstream media, officials and politicians in the 1990s. We classify these as 1st-wave, because while they were popularized considerably via the internet, they existed well before that era - for example in scans of old magazines (see Archive).