Minor Attracted Person (archive research)
|Part of NewgonWiki's series on |
|Starting Guide | Community | Pediverse|
MAP | NOMAP | AAM | Neologisms
Origins | Flag | Movement
Political history: MAP & LGBT Alliances
Philias: Ephebo - Hebe - Pedo - Nepio
Gender and attraction: BL - EL - GL
Pederasty/Gay BL | Korephilia/Lesbian GL
Pro-c | Neutral-c | Anti-c
BLogo | GLogo
|Category: Minor-attracted people|
|Template:MAI - This template|
Since 2021, we have conducted research on the origins of the commonly used term "Minor Attracted Person" (MAP), after what appeared to be erroneous claims made by various sources in the mainstream media. While it appears to have been coined on at least one previous occasion (and not adopted), the origin of the term as used today was confirmed as the now defunct MAP-run ATC/ANU blog in early 2007. This article details and sources this research project in chronological order.
It is commonly claimed that "MAP" is both novel and a "woke" codeword for pedophilia. The first two charges appear to be contradicted by the fact that the broader concept of being "Minor Attracted" can be traced back to 1998, where it was conceived by Heather Peterson, a journalist covering interfaith news. Neither her, ANU, Richard Kramer nor any prominent person in B4U-ACT are known to be followers of social-justice hyperorthodoxy (so-called wokism). The "pedocentrism" assumption appears to be challenged by the fact that the second person to adopt the full term "Minor Attracted Person" was a non-pedophile MAP who specified its inclusivity as his reason for using it at the time.
As noted by B4U-ACT (founded in 2003) in their Twitter thread captioned below, in 2007 - they, some MAPs and academic authors had been using the similar term "Minor Attracted Adult" (MAA) for some time. This was after Heather Peterson, a journalist covering interfaith news who embedded herself in the BoyChat community, had forwarded the idea of "Minor-Attracted" (adult and person) in 1998, using the "adult" variant repeatedly on her website and elsewhere in the following years. This variant was used early on by B4U-ACT and some academics and MAPs who were associated with them (see gallery below). The Internet Archive also reveals solitary mentions of the present term "Minor Attracted Person/MAP", along with "Minor Attracted Homosexual" and 'Minor Attracted Men" in the period after MAA started to be used by B4U-ACT. However, other than the occasional use of "minor attracted", and adoption of aforementioned "Minor Attracted Adult", there is an absence of archive evidence for "Minor Attracted Person" between 1998 and 2007. This is thought to be because the renewed, post-2006 brand of online (second-wave) youth MAP activism was effectively nonexistent prior to the widespread availability of blogging services.
2007 - full adoption of MAP by ANU
In 2006/7, as the burgeoning MAP blogging movement got underway (primarily on blogger.com/blogspot), there were, as to be expected, further uses of the term "minor attraction" and "MAA". The first subsequent examples of "Minor Attracted Person" we can find were linked to the blog ATC/ANU in Jan and Feb 2007, with the blog-author also submitting the term to a Guardian debate, Slashdot and Scienceblogs. This slow pivot from "Minor Attracted Adult" and the generic "minor attraction" (as evidenced by BC archives), to "Minor Attracted Person" was thought to be due to these bloggers' relatively young age (see gallery). For example, the most active authors on ANU were in their late teens, having experienced an attraction to minors before adulthood. In addition to this, the first authors to consistently use the term "Minor Attracted Person" (BLueRibbon and Daniel Lievre) were pedophilic and ephebophilic respectively (see gallery), so the more inclusive term suited their writings.
On Jun 8, 2007, Newgon.com was founded (at that time a small website started by two censored bloggers, Daniel Lievre/Llort and Jillium - also of ANU), and the new term was visible in its ethos (belatedly captured on its blog arm, dated Jul 17). Over a year later, Newgon.com created the first dedicated article to define Minor Attracted People (see history).
B4U-ACT adopt "MAP" variant
Perhaps coincidentally, and likely as a result of internal discussions, B4U-ACT began to use the revised term on June 22, 2007, incorporating it into their own lexicon. While it is almost certain that such an organization would have been aware of Minor MAPs, it is still unknown whether the replacement of "Adult" in this term by the younger MAPs at ANU was what inspired the charity to do this. The late Michael Melsheimer (a MAP and founding member of B4U-ACT), or prominent member Richard Kramer might have been somewhat responsible for popularizing this at the time. Both individuals were in some kind of contact with the rest of the community (for example on BoyChat, and doubtless email). As documented earlier, Kramer had used "Minor Attracted Men" on MHAMic as early as 2001 - showing that he was flexible as to how the language should be used.
B4U-ACT has since been instrumental in enabling studies of the wider MAP community, is likely responsible for the entry of the terms "MAP" and "minor-attraction" into the academic lexicon, and by extension popular parlance.
False claims concerning right-wing trolling
As detailed in our article on the MAP Flag, "fact checkers" have come to varying but incorrect conclusions about the flag's origins - it appears in a desperate attempt to defend the LGBTQ+ community from charges of "pedophilia". The same goes for the term "MAP" itself. For example, in 2018, Media Matters claimed that "MAP" was a right-wing hoax, only to go back on this position 4 years later in a piece that referenced Prostasia Foundation. Similarly, Snopes have been forced to recant their claim that "trolls" were responsible for the 2018 NOMAP Flag - the most commonly used MAP Flag.
Gallery of files
BoyChat in 2001 (original archive now censored) - First known, but unsuccessful suggestion of "MAP". Peterson's records suggest she also forwarded the idea in 1998, but it didn't catch on.
ANU Editors ages (as seen in early 2009)
BLueRibbon's Jan 26 2007 debate on The Guardian's comment section - in which he uses MAP twice
BLueRibbon's 10 Feb 2007 post on Slashdot (still live!). By this date, he had been censored on other platforms such as LiveJournal.
BLueRibbon's corresponding ANU post
BLueRibbon using MAP, Mar 12, 2007
He uses it again on ScienceBlogs - Mar 17, 2007
BLueRibbon 5 May 2007: Antis vs MAPs
Jim Burton - wiki warrior uses "Minor Attracted Activism" 9 May 2007
Daniel Lievre - delineates MAP from Pedophile May 26, 2007
Daniel Lievre (original archive now censored) - MAP in 1st Newgon Ethos
2021 explanation of the term by our Strategist
- Dan Lievre resurfaces to confirm research
- This article uses the acronyms to refer to the phrases when they were mentioned. We do not deal with the (separate) topic of when said acronyms started to be used, as while there is evidence of early adoption, (2), this topic is deemed to be superfluous.
- Heather Peterson: Not an Oxymoron - Christian Pedophiles Form Online Support Groups Greenbelt Interfaith News, Philia, December 1998
- Heather Peterson: They'll Know We Are Christians by our Love: Christian Consultation on Boylove Explores the Challenges of Support - in Paraklesis, 2000, also on her Philia site.
- Philia - The website of Heather Peterson (oldest copy)
- Old, now censored archive was at web.archive.org/web/20010903084739/http://www.boychat.org:80/stealth.htm documenting a BC Oldposts - 2001 mention of Minor Attracted Homosexual.
- Now censored archive was at web.archive.org/web/20011224214947/http://www.boychat.org:80/oldposts1.htm documenting a BC Oldposts - 2001 mention of "MAP" acronym as per our screenshot in this article. Archive Today copy
- MHAMIC - Minor Attracted Men
- Explanatory note: Former blogspot blog ANU (absolutelynothingunified.blogspot.com - censored and uploaded to anu.nfshost.com) became ATC (attractedtochildren.org) as documented in the Wayback Machine.
- BLRibbon (i.e. BLueRibbon) in a Guardian comment thread
- Slashdot: Brian Ribbon (i.e. BLueRibbon) Feb 2007 Submission
- Science Blogs: Brian Ribbon Mar 2007
- Brian Ribbon as BLueRibbon - ANU - Feb and Mar 2007 use of "MAP"
- Brian Ribbon as BLueRibbon - ANU - May 2007 use of "MAP" juxtaposed against Antis
- BC Archives
- BLueRibbon 19yo
- D Lievre Student
- Jillium 17yo
- Dan Lievre - first known delineation of MAP from Pedophile - May 2007 see also BC
- In a now censored archive, Newgon used the term "Minor Attracted Persons" - Capture Jul 17, 2007 as per screengrab in this article. Likely to have been in splashpage "ethos" on founding date of 8 Jun 2007, but not known for sure, and that page was not archived by WBM until much later
- B4U-ACT use the term in Jun 2007
- Media Matters: How the hoax that the LGBTQ community is embracing pedophiles went viral
- Media Matters: “Expert” formerly slated to testify in favor of Florida ban on trans health care once called to include a “P” for pedophiles in LGBTQ
- BLueRibbon - BC response to censorship