Wikisposure.com was a web site run by Perverted-Justice that has since gone through various incarnations. The title is a portmanteau of the terms "wiki" and "exposure" (derived from sounding it out like eksposure). It accused, attacked and profiled a variety of topics, with a focus on individuals and web sites. Examples of various allegations include allegations of pedophilia, defense of a pedophile, or even attempts to reform sex offender laws. It appeared to function as a semi-reincarnation of Better a Millstone and a place for Perverted-Justice volunteers to intimidate a wide range of individuals.
Early history and mode of operation
The site was originally CorporateSexOffenders.com (aka CSO). Later the wiki was exported to an independent URL and the previous CSO address was used solely for the original criticism of corporations like Google, MySpace, YouTube, etc. Since being set up in 2007, some articles have been criticized for inaccuracies, some comical and some more deliberate and sinister in nature. For example, some editors have attempted to locate those profiled by IP address. Editors were free to engage in unsupported speculation; half-truths or potential misinformation were presented with wording implying the claims to be concrete facts. This has led to other editors misinterpreting profiles and building upon poorly-established foundations.
Many individuals profiled on Wikisposure have stated their intent to leave the inaccuracies uncorrected, or to pretend they were concrete facts. On one occasion, a Wikisposure editor used Encyclopedia Dramatica as a fact reference. Another editor reproduced pictures of Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper - claiming that they were in fact of Viamund. These edits continued to count for considerable lengths of time. Quotes may be taken out of context to twist their meaning or intention. Individuals have been described as "dangerous" when there may be inadequate information to suggest that the person is more at risk of offending than any average person.
A large number of individuals who never called/identified themselves as pedophiles are labeled as such on Wikisposure.
Corrupted Justice (a contemporary counter-protest organization) on Wikisposure:
- "In the original perverted-justice follow-up forums, people were targeted for allegedly engaging in explicit sexual on-line chats with a perverted-justice volunteer pretending to be a sex-starved horny teenager. In this new incarnation, people are now being targeted simply based on any suggestion, accusation or assumption that they may have some sort of tenuous link to anything associated with someone accused of being a pedophile, anyone involved in speaking their opinion on the rights of registered sex offenders, anyone who voices a contrary opinion regarding current sex offender laws, or anyone the anonymous, untrained perverted-justice volunteers have determined may have pedophilic leanings as a result of an opinion voiced or something they may have written on-line."
Wikisposure has often attempted to bolster its credibility by claiming to "out" or establish facts via "investigation" of individuals who were previously unconcerned about publicly identifying themselves in the manner concerned. This casts light upon another important fact about Wikisposure, i.e. that any information published there was already available for the public to access. Most "investigations" go no further than basic e.mail linking and web-searches.
Xavier von Erck has also attempted to control discussions on Wikipedia (a site that he was banned from) by using Wikisposure to make spurious allegations of pedophilia towards editors whom he dislikes. Whilst there is no way of knowing for sure, it appears that these attacks have been somewhat successful, with some editors being banned from editing.
Crimes detected and incited
Wikisposure profiling has lead to some successful arrests and even the conviction of two men who were openly divulging information regarding their sexual relationships with boys. In some cases, flyers developed from wikisposure pages have been distributed in local communities. It was this tactic that whilst asserting no criminal activity, appears to have lead to the police raiding of former BoyChat webmaster James Finn III's home and his highly suspect and uncharacteristic arrest on child pornography charges. Another charge accuses two other BoyChat posters of producing child pornography among other crimes.
- Kevin Brown claims to have been physically assaulted outside his home several weeks after his home address was publicized on Wikisposure.
- "Kissbyalice," a minor, claims to have had "the shit beaten out of" him by his pastor after church members were told that he was a pedophile and of his article by unknown initiators.
Jan Kruska's Defamation suit
On 10 January 2008, a multi-count civil lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Arizona by Jan Kruska, a wife and mother who has been wrongly labeled a pedophile by Wikisposure.
- "Jan Kruska sued several anti-pedophile organizations, including Perverted Justice Foundation, Inc. ("PJFI"), and individuals affliliated with those organizations, as well as domain registrar GoDaddy.com and social networking site MySpace.com, after the organizations accused Kruska of being a predator, a pedophile, and pro-pedophile on various websites, including JanKruska.com and JanKruska.net. Kruska sued for defamation, copyright infringement, cyberstalking and harassment, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations ("RICO") Act and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") in Arizona federal court."
Kruska's claims against Perverted-Justice were dismissed on August 9, 2010.
As the poorly-maintained project continued to suffer from potential design weaknesses, article bloat and event dating errors, editing appeared to slow substantially. At some point in late 2010, it was announced on the PJFI forums that they took down Wikisposure and would be focusing on their standard entrapment operations. Wikisposure.com then was redirected to PJFI.org
Evil-Unveiled (evil-unveiled.com) was a short lived reincarnation of the Wikisposure project, hosted after PJ took it down some time in November 2010. The Wikisposure project was in turn formerly CorporateSexOffenders. EU began November 17, 2010 prior to November 21 when the first known edit was made. Unlike Wikisposure, it did not seem to be openly affiliated with Perverted Justice. It seems like the previous editing histories are absent and that much of it may have been retrieved via google/wayback archiving since a lot of unformatted text was pasted in the articles and the wiki source code seems absent and had to be manually restored.
- See - Anonymous.
Currently, ED hosts much of the inaccurate and outdated content formerly accessible on Evil-Unveiled.
- Uncommon Sense article
- Wikipedia article on PJ mentions Wikisposure under 'other activities'
- PedophilePhobia.com writeup
- Evil-Unveiled makes the news. Comment thread.
- Profile of Del Harvey - Supposed founder of the Evil-Unveiled spinoff.
- Steve D commentary
- Encyclopedia Dramatica (anti/troll site) covers EU
- Brown, Kevin (2007). "assault," GirlChat, 22 July.
- Kissbyalice (2009). "Esctasy saved my sanity," GirlChat, 26 June.